Usui Reiki History and Tradition is quite unique. Knowledge and understanding of Reiki energy goes back over 2,500 years and is seen in ancient Sanskrit Sutras, and the also the writings of Tibetan Monks and Enlightened Masters where it first originated. The modern history of Usui Reiki as taught today is much more recent. It begins in the early 1900s. Evidence of Reiki from before World War II remained in Japan and has been rediscovered and spread across the world only very recently.
Reiki is a Japanese word meaning “Universal Life-Force-Energy”. The “Ki” part is the same word as Chi or Qi, the Chinese word for the energy which underlies everything. Reiki is a system for channeling that energy to someone for the purpose of healing. It was discovered by Dr. Usui in the late 1800’s. He was born about 1865, and there are two accounts of his discovery of Reiki; one being that he was a Buddhist Monk and after a 28-year quest, he journeyed to Mount Kurama. The other account is that he was a teacher or perhaps dean of a Christian school in Kyoto, Japan.
With roots in Japan prior to World War II, it is not surprising that some documentation was lost. Apparently the survivors of Dr. Hayashi lost to the war the resources allowing them to continue the clinic he founded, and many stopped practicing Reiki for fear of persecution for not ‘supporting the war’. Others continued to practice and their students are still practicing today.
If it were not for Mrs. Takata learning Reiki and taking it to America, this healing technique would have been lost to the western world. The war brought with it the loss of valuable memories and knowledge that was present in the group who learned from Reiki’s originator, Dr. Usui. Mrs. Takata had to modify the story of Reiki right after World War II to make it acceptable to the Christian, western mind. Hopefully, with an open mind, and with practice, study and intuition, we will bring back any lost knowledge.
Reiki is a whole and complete energy. It can be used anytime, anyplace for any condition. This vital flowing energy is the basis for the continuity of life, as we know it. For the student, there are three degrees and four levels of Reiki. Often the 3rd and 4th levels are combined in the third degree.
What Reiki is
- a powerful natural system that unlocks the inner flow of vital energy
- an evolutionary process that increases the natural flow of events and patterns of manifestation in life
- always available once attuned to Reiki energy you never lose it
- safe to use anytime, anyplace and in any situation, it’s easy to use
- an individual experience
- restores and balances natural energy
- for preventing disorders, maintaining positive wellness and helping the healing process
- a powerful tool for personal development and spiritual enlightenment
- a precise self-help technique for personal growth and transformation
- for you and for everyone alive who desires a higher quality of life
- a completely self-contained natural healing system
- spiritually guided
- transcendental energy. I t works with the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual levels
- safe, it cannot be used to manipulate or control
- brings the body to its own natural balance allowing it to heal itself
- healing is a by-product which occurs when the body is filled with this divine energy
- re-connects the body with the holographic image of perfection (or perfect light) contained within its cellular structure
- stills chaotic energy and brings clear focus and improved concentration purifies and aligns energy level of your being, breaking down old patterns of thinking, speaking, feeling and acting.