Sometimes, small steps are better than trying to create big leaps. In our lives, we move from day to day, week to week. The big life changing events do happen, they happen when you least expect them. But, after the weekend, Monday morning and the rest of the week lay in front of you and it is easier to concentrate on what will happen for the rest of the first day of the week than that life changing event you are hopping for.
Dr. Usui set out the five principals of Reiki and they can help us on Monday morning, and every morning to get us through the day and the week ahead.
The five principals start off with the words… “Just for today.”
Use these words as the start of the affirmations that speak to the day ahead, the week ahead. And as you get practised in recognising what you are affirming, the thoughts will become easier and you will recognise yourself in them. Let’s try a few sentences of what I mean, and, if you are attuned to Reiki, visualize the Reiki Power symbol, Chokurey and connect it to your affirmation to give them energy and purpose.
- Just for today I will live in the moment, in the NOW, of the moment. If it is the start of the workday, I will not be wishing for lunchtime to arrive, or, the end of the day. NOW is the most important thing to me because this is where I am, sitting, standing, walking, breathing…
- Just for today I will be at peace. Being at peace will allow your thoughts to be peaceful. If this sounds strange there can be a disconnect between your thoughts and emotions. If there is a line up at the copier, come back when you think the line will be shorter or there will be no line at all. Do not be angry at the people in the line, do not be frustrated. Do not let thoughts of what will happen to your plans for work because you cannot get the copies you want at that moment.
- Just for today I will enjoy the world around you that you see and smell and hear in the moment, in the NOW of the moment. If it is spring, there will be birds singing their mating songs. Appreciate the songs but also appreciate what they mean. The birds are singing their song to attract a mate and start a family, to continue their existence.
- Just for today I will appreciate myself. I woke up! My life and existence and gathering of experiences will continue.
- Just for today I will be happy that I woke up, even if I am challenged in some way. Perhaps I don’t walk as fast as other people. Maybe I do not hear or see, or speak as well, but I am happy for the abilities I do have.
- Just for today I will be grateful for the moment, the NOW, but also the time that will pass while I appreciate each moment. Personally, I have found that while I am absorbed thinking about the moment, the moment seems to eb longer and gives something back to me recognizing and appreciating it.
- Just for today I will recognise how important my partner is to me.
- Just for today I will recognize how important my friends are to me.
- Just for today I will recognize how important my family are to me.
- Just for today I will recognise how important my pets and animals who share my life are to me.
Just for today I will spend some time meditating focusing on only myself, what is inside of me and what makes me so special.
This post is taken from our Reiki Level II Student Manual
Mark is a Registered Reiki Teacher and Practitioner under the Canadian Reiki Association – CRA.
Mark is a Usui Tibetan Reiki Master Teacher under the International Association fo Reiki Professionals Click here for more information